Search This Blog

Monday, June 14, 2010

Billions in Mineral Wealth Found In Afghanistan

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/south_asia/10311752.stm

"Ministry of mines spokesman Jawad Omar said he could not confirm the exact value of Afghanistan's mineral wealth but had no doubt it would have a very big impact on the country's development.
If exploited, Afghanistan would become self-sufficient, he said, and no longer need foreign aid."

To which I said, "nplz." You mean like how Peru became prosperous because of its vast mineral wealth? I do hope it raises the standard of living over there but I can't see it happening in my lifetime. I can't see it happening without the US continuing to occupy the country, but I guess any American president is willing to do that in the name of national security. They can justify it by saying we have a strategic need to keep all those rare earth metals out of Chinese hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment