Search This Blog

Sunday, October 21, 2007

advice regarding a webmaster course

I'm glad you are interested in taking a webmaster course.

Here's where I'm coming from.

I spent a lot of money on courses that were supposed to teach me how to support and implement Microsoft's stuff. It was a waste of my time and money. On countless occasions I have wished there had been someone there to shout, "NOOOOOOO! These courses are not a good value! Study something portable like Perl or shell scripting. Here, look at this Linux thing."

My fear is that your HCC webmaster courses are Microsoft centric. What's wrong with that? So many things! The WWW is based on open standards and Microsoft lives to violate and destroy open standards. My fear is that you will be taught to use MS Frontpage and learn to develop websites that only work well with Internet Explorer. This would be a disaster for you since Firefox et al are taking over. NOBODY uses Frontpage to design production web sites. That word doc you sent me was pathetically short on detail. Colleges are notorious for being years behind the times.

I wish I could point you at a good program somewhere in W. Ma. I'd say look for an HTML course at UMASS. I can help you figure out whether the course is apropriate to your level of skill. Hell, I'll come with you when you talk to the woman at the community college.

PLEASE don't piss away your funds on Microsoft indoctrination like I did. The www does NOT run on Microsoft software. Your favorite sites do not run on Windows. You do not need Windows for anything, especially webmastering.


No comments:

Post a Comment