Search This Blog

Friday, February 5, 2010

raw shrimp for supper?

I was invited over to my folks place tonight to feast on fresh Gulf o' Maine shrimp. It's prolly the best seafood event of the winter. Come to think of it, it's the ONLY seafood event of winter. The Maine shrimp season lasts for only four to six weeks so you better hurry.

Unlike those nasty jumbo shrimp from central American farms these little crustaceans are tender, inexpensive and mild-tasting. Yum! There was only one problem: my folks were eating them raw! They forgot that Maine shrimp are pink when raw. No wonder they said they weren't very good. My dad said they were overcooked. Strange.

I peeled my share and cooked them in a chicken stock with rice noodles, ginger, sesame oil and lime juice. Wish I'd had some scallions. They take about 20 seconds to cook. Actually, I'd like to be able to buy them with their heads on, too. I don't eat the heads but they do add lots of flavour to a broth.

No comments:

Post a Comment